[Asterisk-Dev] Onboard Video

Alen Miketic Alen at Meinc.ca
Wed Jan 26 21:03:43 MST 2005

Sorry about the list mix-up.

I didn't care weather it was dedicated or shared, as long as it works.
I was testing * on an Asus board with shared memory and it kept freezing
up.  I understand there is an issue using * with a motherboard that uses
shared memory so I wrote to Asus to ask which of there boards use
dedicated memory.  There response was simple, none.  I wasn't convinced
since I had read that the Intel 865G chip allows you pre-allocate memory
to the video making it absolutely transparent to the OS.  Someone later
in the list suggested an Asus P4P800-MX (865GV chipset), this confirms
my thoughts on the 865G (same memory allocation for both).

http://www.intel.com/design/chipsets/applnots/25314402.pdf

-----Original Message-----
From: Kevin P. Fleming [mailto:kpfleming at starnetworks.us]
Sent: Wednesday, January 26, 2005 5:39 PM
To: Asterisk Developers Mailing List
Subject: Re: [Asterisk-Dev] Onboard Video

Alen Miketic wrote:
> Has anybody successfully tested a P4 motherboard using an onboard
video
> adapter with Asterisk, and if so, which one(s)?  I'm building a couple
> of 1U Asterisk servers and the 1 PCI slot is being allocated to the
> Digium card.

This is not really a -dev question, it's a -users question.

In any case, nearly everyone running Asterisk on a 1U or a 2U server is
using on-board video. Did you mean to say "chipset integrated video"
(that shares the system RAM), as opposed to a dedicated video chip? Our
Dell 1750 servers have on-board video, but it's an ATI Rage XL chip with

its own RAM.
To UNSUBSCRIBE or update options visit: