[Asterisk-Dev] Re: is this a bug?

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Wed Jan 26 07:16:36 MST 2005

On January 26, 2005 02:03 am, Tilghman Lesher wrote:
> 1.  If asterisk is a daemon, and running with -c corresponds to
> running the daemon in the foreground, and you normally expect daemons
> which are set to run in the foreground to be stopped with Ctrl-C, how
> does Asterisk break the principle of least astonishment?  I personally
> run Asterisk with a startup script and connect to it with '-Rc', for
> which Ctrl-C does NOT interrupt the main process.

I'm sorry, Tlighman, but how many daemons do you know of that offer a CLI in
"foreground" mode?  You're clearly reaching here.  CLI mode is not the same
as a "foreground" mode in a regular daemon.

I agree with you in the sense that people like me should be running asterisk
normally and then using asterisk -rc, and that is something I plan on
changing about how I run asterisk, but the fact that CLI dies (even
gracefully) with ^C is a minor issue, IMO.

The question is: if someone were to write a patch that trapped ^C and printed
"Use STOP NOW or STOP WHEN CONVENIENT to exit Asterisk" would it be accepted?

Or hell, use the old login app's use of ^D -- print "use exit to leave the
shell" for every ^D hit, up to 10, and after the 10th time, exit anyway.

> 2.  There are far more serious violations of the principle of least
> astonishment in Asterisk.  One particular example is the new default
> in -HEAD of setting autofallthrough=yes, which is completely different
> behavior than is what is in STABLE.  Mark does not seem to be
> particularly concerned with violating this principle; if you disagree,
> you should take it up with him.  Like it or not, Mark is the project
> leader, and unless or until Asterisk is forked, that is the way it is
> going to be.

This is frustrating.  I asked for priindication=outofband to be the default
since 99% of PRIs work this way, but he said it would break those coming from
stable who were looking for the old behaviour.

> But Asterisk is a combination of both these types of apps:  it is both
> a) a daemon, and b) has a console.  So while it's clear which behavior
> you're advocating, your reasoning for choosing it is not.

well perhaps -c should be two things:  fork asterisk into the background AND
call up asterisk -rc...

-A.