[Asterisk-Dev] Re: is this a bug?

Tom Ivar Helbekkmo tih at eunetnorge.no
Wed Jan 26 01:12:59 MST 2005

Tilghman Lesher <tilghman at mail.jeffandtilghman.com> writes:

> But Asterisk is a combination of both these types of apps: it is
> both a) a daemon, and b) has a console.

No, it's *either* a or b, not both at the same time.  That's my point.

> So while it's clear which behavior you're advocating, your reasoning
> for choosing it is not.

I can't think of any way to make my reasoning clearer than I already
have, so I guess I'll stop.  :-) It makes no difference to me, anyway,
because I only ever run Asterisk in the foreground if I need to do so
for debugging reasons, and then only very briefly.  The people who
will be bitching about this misfeature (and people will, again and
again) are the ones who run it in console mode, in a dedicated
terminal, disabling remote console attachment, because they feel it's
more secure and controlled, and b) it's a nice way to ensure you get
to see all console messages.

Hmm.  How about a flag that says "start in the background, as usual,
but immediately wait for a remote console to connect, before running
through all the startup and initialization stuff"?

PS: anyone else here ever accidentally stop a VAX/VMS system by
running an application on the console that uses ^P for something?  ;-)

-tih
--
Tom Ivar Helbekkmo, Senior System Administrator, EUnet Norway Hosting
www.eunet.no  T +47-22092958 M +47-93013940 F +47-22092901 FWD 484145