[Asterisk-Dev] Re: MySQL SIP and Message Waiting Indication

Nick Bachmann asterisk at not-real.org
Tue Jan 25 20:12:52 MST 2005

Rich Adamson wrote:

> > | In that case, the project is lacking a mailing list. Other Open
> > | Source projects typically have a mailing list for users of CVS
> > HEAD, | very often named ${project}-current. This is an arena
> > where | developers can interact with CVS HEAD users in their role
> > as beta | testers.
> >
> > I like this idea. I talked to Mark, and he liked it as well. I
> > think it would probably be even more helpful in cutting back the
> > volume of the users list than this one.

I think this is a good idea as well, as long is there are some
developer/bug marshal/power user types in there to answer questions and
allow for an enlightened discourse. Also, if you look over at -users,
you'll find a very small number of those people compared to those who
post, and my concern would be that this has the potential to take some
of those people away. Not that I have much room to talk here, as I have
basically stopped regularly reading -users because of signal:noise. Then
again, taking the strain of -users might make it a little easier to
read, so I suppose I've concluded nothing :-).

> > Do think Asterisk-current is the best name for it? Asterisk-head?
> > ... Any suggestions?
>
>  I would suggest staying away from terms like -current. If I read my
>  email week/month later or look at archives, what does current really
>  mean. Many other open src projects reecive tons of emails from folks
>  wondering what current means.

I'm a strong proponent of making all mailing list subscriptions require
at least a basic question to be answered before you can join.  For
example, -dev could ask something like "What language is Asterisk
written in?"* and -security could ask "Fill in the blank: Alice ______
Carol." This list could be even easier to do, you'd just have to post
your 'show version'! :)

>  For asterisk, it would seem like Stable and Head have been fairly
>  well understood. People are use to those terms now, use them.

/me nods

NB

*For all you over-analyzers (*cough*Kevin Fleming*cough*) out there, you
_know_ what I mean.