[Asterisk-Dev] is this a bug?

Steve Kann stevek at stevek.com
Tue Jan 25 14:43:28 MST 2005

Andrew Kohlsmith wrote:

>Please don't post with HTML, **ESPECIALLY** in the -dev list.
>
>On January 25, 2005 02:35 pm, Alexander Lopez wrote:
>

>>^c. = interrupt
>>^d = eof
>>Etc
>>

>I've been using Unix for 10 years, I know what they mean.  I am saying that if
>they *don't* cause * to crash without -c, why do they cause * to crash with
>-c...  also why are they not being trapped and handled properly instead of
>literally crashing the server.

It's crashing in the process of shutting down.   Sure, this is a bug,
but it doesn't seem like it's worth everyone getting so excited about
it, and having this 25 message thread..

It's crashing on shutdown -- the end result is going to be the same, the
process is going to exit; all calls are going to end, and no new calls
are going to be accepted..

Regardless of whether the crash is fixed, it would be unadvisable to run
asterisk as a foreground application except for testing, where not only
will ^c cause it to go down, but so will the loss of the terminal (i.e.
broken SSH connection, hungup serial line, or whatever your terminal is
set up for).

-SteveK