[Asterisk-Dev] Problem with demo

C. Maj cmaj-SPAM at freedomcorpse.com
Sat Jan 22 16:36:26 MST 2005

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005, Arun Garg waxed:

> after installing the asterisk i did a  dial and am encountering an error
> related to soundcard.
> my soundcard is
>
> inteli810 82801aa ac97
> the soundcard plays the test sound properly.
> somebody on list had previously suggested to see a driver on
> alsa-project.org but taht is not helping.

> Can somebody solve my problem?

It pains me to reply to a question like that, but I recently
posted a patch to make it easier to keep half-duplex OSS
cards in play mode.  Grab current CVS head, and in the file
/etc/asterisk/oss.conf add the line 'playbackonly=yes'

Your microphone will not work after setting 'playbackonly=yes'

> thanks
> arun

8<'s

> Jan 22 19:18:02 WARNING[3315]: chan_oss.c:572 oss_write: Unable to set
> device to input mode

That's your problem write there.  See, your sound card is
seen by Asterisk's OSS channel driver as being a half-duplex
device.  That means at any point in time you can either be
listening OR speaking -- but not both.  So, after your sound
card is done playing some files on your speakers, Asterisk
wants to give you time to say something in the microphone.
But your sound card doesn't want to go back into microphone
mode right away because of, well, a variety of reasons.

--
Chris Maj, Rochester
cmaj_at_freedomcorpse_dot_com