[Asterisk-Dev] FW: asterisk/doc CODING-GUIDELINES,1.4,1.5

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at starnetworks.us
Tue Jan 18 17:51:35 MST 2005

Michael Giagnocavo wrote:

> Yes, so why bother making guidelines that will most likely confuse people
> who are likely to get confused? If there's a guideline like that, a novice
> user might do who knows what kinda crap ("oh, I got 1GB of RAM, so I guess
> I'll just alloc to my hearts content, rather than waste 1000 cycles!").

I nearly said the same thing... to my mind, the "coding guidelines"
document should have some sort of well-thought-out and highly-optimized
example function in it and tell the reader "if you can't read this code
and figure out in _every single case_ why the code is written the way
that it is, you have more learning to do".

> And I specifically didn't pick on the example <G> :)

Yeah, well, people already know that I'm overly critical; it's
especially egregious to have code that won't even compile in a coding
guidelines document!