[Asterisk-Dev] Request for feedback: Overriding codec in dialplan

Michael Giagnocavo mgg-digium at atrevido.net
Fri Jan 14 23:45:03 MST 2005

Brian West wrote:
>> 	1. A user wants to specify a codec to reduce transcoding. I've got a
>> few phones connected to me, some ULAW, some G729. My termination provider
>> provides transcoding for me, so it's more efficient for me to send G729
>> calls as G729, and ULAW calls as ULAW. Just setting preference won't
> guarantee (esp. since G729 is biased against :)).
>
>Asterisk already tries this by default on SIP.  Now on IAX

But other servers can still decide to use any codec, and ignore the
preference.

>> 	If you'd like this functionality, please speak up. If you don't, and
>> have a real reason why this would degrade the overall Asterisk
experience,
>> please speak up.
>
>This would be great but we now have this in chan_iax2.c
>
>codecpriority=mine   | My pref order is honored.
>codecpriority=caller | The callers pref order is honored.
>
>This was just added this past weekend... what we need is a way to tinker
>with those pref orders on the fly.

However, as I understand, this is for receiving calls, correct? So it still
doesn't assure that a call will go out in a specific codec. What I'm trying
to provide is a *caller* way to force a codec, on-the-fly, without having to
define multiple peers.

-Michael