[Asterisk-Dev] Request for feedback: Overriding codec in dialplan

Brian West brian at bkw.org
Fri Jan 14 23:16:07 MST 2005

> 	1. A user wants to specify a codec to reduce transcoding. I've got a
> few phones connected to me, some ULAW, some G729. My termination provider
> provides transcoding for me, so it's more efficient for me to send G729
> calls as G729, and ULAW calls as ULAW. Just setting preference won't
> guarantee (esp. since G729 is biased against :)).

Asterisk already tries this by default on SIP.  Now on IAX

> 	If you'd like this functionality, please speak up. If you don't, and
> have a real reason why this would degrade the overall Asterisk experience,
> please speak up.

This would be great but we now have this in chan_iax2.c

codecpriority=mine   | My pref order is honored.
codecpriority=caller | The callers pref order is honored.

This was just added this past weekend... what we need is a way to tinker
with those pref orders on the fly.

bkw