[Asterisk-Dev] Increasing reliability on lossy connections

John Todd jtodd at loligo.com
Wed Jan 12 12:07:31 MST 2005

At 12:54 PM -0600 1/12/05, Michael Giagnocavo wrote:
>From: "Michael Giagnocavo" <mgg at Atrevido.net>
>Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 12:54:40 -0600
>Subject: [Asterisk-Dev] Increasing reliability on lossy connections
>
>One ISP I'm forced to deal with usually has between 2% and 8% packet loss on
>their lines. They claim this is how cable works. I'd like to ditch them, but
>in Guatemala, they're actually not that bad, and I'm stuck with trying to
>come up with a solution.
>
>So, what I was thinking is that if duplicate IAX2 packets were sent, then
>most packets would get there, at least once. IAX2 would discard the
>duplicates, and things would work better, at double the bandwidth. I was
>thinking about adding an iax.conf option to configure this per user.
>
>Any comments?
>
>-Michael

The better solution would be to implement iLBC's packet concealment
methods, and then use that codec for your IAX2 trunking.  I am
currently under the impression (someone correct me if I'm wrong!
It's been a while since this was discussed...) that the iLBC code in
* is not completely implemented due to timing issues, so that iLBC's
great packet concealment methods are unused.

Sending packets twice is... a frightening hack.

JT