[Asterisk-Dev] RFC: Moderating the Asterisk Mailing Lists

Paul Rodan asterisk at glitch.cc
Mon Jan 10 10:15:07 MST 2005

I see the point about the volume in Asterisk-Users. There's a wealth of
information in there, but I simply can't walk away for a weekend and come
back to 1800 messages, I'd never get work done if I read them all.

My only ideas are to separate the lists by country, a lot of posts have to
do with the U.K or Europe or something that have little to do with my
configuration here in the U.S; Maybe another way to separate them is by
advanced and beginning, as Mandrake does (as was suggested by Leif Madsen).
The "how do I create extensions" problems should be separate from the "how
do I get asterisk to offer a callback feature so it can call an admin on
duty"

Maybe some kind of search features on a website that can search all forums.
Whenever I run into a problem, I like to use my email programs find feature
to search the entire forums for any mention of my problems and possibly a
resolution. If this find feature searched all the forums, not just the U.K
or U.S forums, at least we'd get the benefit of researching our problem by
all users, not just our smaller/quieter user list.

However, I think it'll have to get worst before it gets better. For now I
just deal with the volume and whenever I find free time (right...) I look
through the subjects for anything interesting.

There's so much knowledge in there it boggles my mind and makes me wonder
what I'm doing trying to pretend I know a little something about something
in the first place. As much as I've accomplished (which I thought was a
great deal), compared to the others, I don't know jack. It's quite
intimidating. I wish I could help but I'm not a developer and am at the
mercy of you guys, awaiting patiently for bug fixes and new and exciting
features. I'm more of a front-line person, not a back-end. I can handle
support calls, create/modify/delete some extensive and creative dial plans,
go over the configs and configure/tweak them to my liking and such, but I
can't edit source. Keep up the good work though guys (and girls)!