[Asterisk-Dev] RFC: Moderating the Asterisk Mailing Lists

alex at pilosoft.com alex at pilosoft.com
Fri Jan 7 12:01:19 MST 2005

On Fri, 7 Jan 2005, Brian Wilkins wrote:

> My point exactly. The wiki is just too cumbersome, and I would never
> expect anyone trying to learn a piece of software to go look at the
> source code.  (Ref Lief Madsen's Email) That is just silly.  When was
> the last time anyone looked at the source to install Windows XP or any
> piece of software? Give me a break. Keep it stupid simple. When this
> project gets more organized and better documentation, I'll change my
> view. But from a user's standpoint, it is very cumbersome. I am simply
> echoing the views of many of whom have stated the same frustrations.
Then don't use it. Thanks, bye.

If you are not part of the solution, you are part of a problem. You
want more documentation? Write it. You want polite answers to newbies'
questions? Provide them, or pay someone to do so.

> I dont think we should bust someone's balls for "lack of searching". Who
> really knows how hard they searched? Why not include a link referring to
> the wiki or asteriskdocs in the footer of each message? I'd rather
> encourage people to ask then be afraid of being berrated with emails for
> not properly searching, or "search the wiki" answers.
"Search the wiki" is not berating. It is giving a pointer to where the
answer could be found.