[Asterisk-Dev] RFC: Moderating the Asterisk Mailing Lists

Brian Wilkins brian at hcc.net
Fri Jan 7 06:47:30 MST 2005

My point exactly. The wiki is just too cumbersome, and I would never expect
anyone trying to learn a piece of software to go look at the source code.
(Ref Lief Madsen's Email) That is just silly.  When was the last time anyone
looked at the source to install Windows XP or any piece of software? Give me
a break. Keep it stupid simple. When this project gets more organized and
better documentation, I'll change my view. But from a user's standpoint, it
is very cumbersome. I am simply echoing the views of many of whom have stated
the same frustrations.

I know many people who are avid programmers and forget simple syntactical
things from time to time. That's why you'll see on various forums the same
question over and over. On the same token, if we provide all the
documentation in the world and broadcast it everywhere so people can see, and
they still don't get it - then they are fair game.

I dont think we should bust someone's balls for "lack of searching". Who
really knows how hard they searched? Why not include a link referring to the
wiki or asteriskdocs in the footer of each message? I'd rather encourage
people to ask then be afraid of being berrated with emails for not properly
searching, or "search the wiki" answers.