[Asterisk-Dev] RFC: Moderating the Asterisk Mailing Lists

steve szmidt steve at szmidt.org
Fri Jan 7 10:01:54 MST 2005

On Friday 07 January 2005 11:18 am, Andrew Kohlsmith wrote:

> There are plenty of people here who possess tact and diplomacy.  You seem
> to expect those qualities to be a requirement; they're not.

Yep.

It's very easy to get caught up with wishing things to be different or better.

The whole movement of OpenSource is frequently showing how flexable it can be
and the number of normally not eh... preferable ways, it proves wrong.

With the cut of society we have, in Open Source, we are really a good example
of how good people basically are. That it can function, even if it is not a
complete life, just OpenSource. In other words its very successful inspite of
those who wish to stop it, and it's lack of "normal" management.

The urge to monitor the noise is a natural response to wanting to improve
conditions of the list. I don't think it's a bad thing to want, or even
pursue. The obvious trick lies in how to keep it a desireable action by 98%
of the list. (I skipped those 2% as I know 2 out of evey 100 prefer to stop
and ruin things for the remaining.)

Nice friendly education works on everyone who is interested in the betterment
of the product. Those who don't respond well on friendly education have other
intentions than what they pretend to have.
--

Steve Szmidt

"They that would give up essential liberty for temporary safety
deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                                Benjamin Franklin