[Asterisk-Dev] RFC: Moderating the Asterisk Mailing Lists

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Thu Jan 6 22:59:29 MST 2005

On Thu, 2005-01-06 at 22:34 -0500, Mike M wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 07, 2005 at 03:56:59AM +0100, Patrick wrote:
> > On Thu, 2005-01-06 at 20:25 -0500, Mike M wrote:
> > [snip]
> > > If there is moderation I suggest that all calls for moderation be
> > > moderated.
> >
> > Or introduce a gentle form of Debian/BSD style newbie handling :)
>
> Exactly this. Reserve moderation for abuse.  Otherwise use the cluebat
> or the D key.

While I probably complain the most about lazy newbie questions, I also
don't think moderation is the answer.

The only thing that is becoming more and more of an idea is splitting
the sip traffic out. There seems to be quite a bit of VoIP/SIP only
installs that it possibly could split the traffic down the middle. I
would suggest all other traffic stay on the normal -users list. The
downside is the need for the split to be reasonable and tolerant of the
wrong list for a while. Even later, the SIP questions might have to
cross over as the location of the problem may not be obvious.

Of course, I don't think what I suggested is really a good solution, but
it might reduce the volume of the list to something where you could
manage the rest more efficiently.