[Asterisk-Dev] RFC: Moderating the Asterisk Mailing Lists

Matt Riddell matt.riddell at sineapps.com
Thu Jan 6 16:05:18 MST 2005

Leif Madsen wrote:
> I know the first thing you are thinking, "why are you posting this to
> the development list?".  Basically the reason is that the signal to
> noise ratio is lower here, what I propose to implement may require
> some development, and if you are subscribed to this list, you are
> probably smarter than the average newbie :)
>
> There has been discussion on and off regarding moderating the Asterisk
> mailing lists as the number of junk posts continues to climb at a
> steady rate.  While it is impossible to have a perfect ratio between
> good and bad emails, I believe a moderated list can significantly
> improve it.
>
> The first problem is that the Asterisk Users list is obviously
> mammoth.  It would probably be nearly impossible to moderate every
> single user on the list without a large support staff dedicated to
> moderating the list.  That just isn't going to happen.
>
> So immediately you must come up with a group of volunteers to manage
> the lists.  OK, so lets assume you get 5-10 individuals to moderate
> the list.  Great, but you have the burden of managing the hundreds of
> posts a day to the list, plus the load placed upon the other
> moderators if (and when) someone goes on vacation.
>
> Here is my proposition.  It may require some modification of the
> mailman software (as I'm sure no one is going to be in favour of
> switching it), and I don't believe this functionality exists in it.
>
> All new users who join the mailing list are sent a list of guidelines
> which must be followed for their post to be accepted to the mailing
> list.  This includes not sending test messages, properly formatting
> their subject line, not using HTML or Rich Text (plain text only),
> posting to the appropriate lists, proper formatting of replies and
> just general list etiquette.  They must agree to these terms when they
> verify their email address (this wouldn't create any extra steps in
> the email verification process, just a simple change of the message
> body that is sent to the user).
>
> These new users are then placed in a "group" of new users.  When they
> send their first message, it must be approved by a moderator before
> being posted to the mailing list.  All the moderator would have to do
> is make sure it follows the guidelines of the message and not deal too
> much with the actual content of the message (we are not trying to
> steer the content in any direction, it is simply to filter out content
> which is not appropriate).  After this first message has been
> approved, the "timer" is started.  After a specified period of time (3
> days, 1 week, 2 weeks?), then that user is automatically moved to a
> non-moderated group where they will be free to post messages to the
> mailing list *without* moderator approval.  This would keep the group
> of moderated people manageable (only a fraction of the full mailing
> list).  The number of people who are actively signing up over a period
> [...]

1. If the volume is too much, unsubscribe and read the Daily Asterisk
News :-)  (see footer).

2. This is really not a discussion of Asterisk code development.  (The
more people post to -dev because of the signal to noise ratio, the worse
the -dev list gets).

3. I kinda feel the system we have in place works the majority of the
time.  When someone top-posts/html posts etc I (and probably others)
send an off-list reply to the etiquitte violator informing them of their
error. :-)  The only reason we changed to this was that people were sick
of getting "don't send html emails" 10 times for every html mail :-)

4. Maybe you need to make up a new word for it - moderation is not in my
vocabulary :-)

5. If all else fails, I'd be willing to help too.

--
Cheers,

Matt Riddell