[Asterisk-Dev] Asterisk Maintenance Crew

russelb at CLEMSON.EDU russelb at CLEMSON.EDU
Sun Jan 2 23:15:31 MST 2005

> To be quite honest, I have been trying to think how *I* could approach
> the Asterisk code base to learn it, plus be doing something meaningful
> to contribute back.  When I feel useful and that I'm doing something
> meaningful I feel more inclined to continue working with it and makes
> it more interesting.  I'm sure at least one other person must feel the
> same.

I have seen a lot of people ask in #asterisk for a "to-do" list or help
for how to get started with development, but I never had a good answer for
them.  I'm hoping that we can come up with a way to provide an entrance
point for aspiring Asterisk developers.

> I think creating a new website (subdomain off of asterisk.org or
> digium.com, how about ft.asterisk.org for Feature Tracker?) which has
> software similar to Mantis, or whatever new bug tracking software the
> bug marshalls decide on.  I envision a separate website from
> bugs.digium.com, but that is somehow tied in with it to give a uniform
> feel.  That way bugs which are tracked at bugs.digium.com, once set to
> resolved are automatically available on ft.digium.com, ready for
> porting to the stable branch.
>
> Plus anything which gets submitted to bugs.digium.com as a feature, or
> should be marked as a feature, can be moved over by the bug marshalls
> easily to ft.digium.com instead of having to just close the bug and
> have the person resubmit it.  Plus bugs can be marked in such a way
> that they are not seen by the bug marshalls to make the interface
> cleaner for them, but are still existant on the new feature tracker.

If we were to maintain the list of feature requests, I'm not sure it would
need to be that complicated.  I think a page of feature requests could be
simple and wiki-style.  If someone were to want to tackle the
implementation, the discussion could happen on this mailing list.

> Some thoughts of how I see the new system working in my head.  A
> system which encourages new "bug marshall", a pleasant, highly
> interactive system which *helps* the current bug marshalls.  Sorry I
> have no specifics :)

I appreciate your input.  Like I said in my original email, my first goal
for this group is to help with maintaining the stable branch by porting
patches.  I also think that there is a lot of potential for recruiting
developers by providing a place with various options of ways to get
started.

In that same spirit, I think having a page full of users' feature requests
would fit right in.

Russell Bryant