[Asterisk-Dev] Bug Tracker / Feature Requests (my take)

Leif Madsen leif.madsen at gmail.com
Sun Jan 2 22:06:15 MST 2005

On Sun, 2 Jan 2005 23:08:20 -0500, Jim Van Meggelen <jim at vanmeggelen.ca> wrote:
> > No.  If you're serious about knowing/learning the code you
> > can really get a handle on it in about a month if you can
> > understand the smallest amount of C.
>
> Brian, I'd like to plant a thought:
>
> Here's something I'd happily spend an entire day at an Astricon doing:
> if someone were generous enough to present "a lovingly painful, newbies
> introduction to Asterisk source code", I for one would be ears, eyes and
> mind WIDE open. I realize that one day would barely even scratch the
> surface, but it'd plant seeds, I'm sure of that.
>
> Make it fast, make it cruel, don't wait up for those that can't keep up,
> but go through some of the core stuff, some of the cool stuff, some of
> the controversial stuff, some of whatever you personally want to talk
> about. If everybody walks out cross-eyed, they learnt something. Get
> some beer into them, quick, and some of it might actually stick!
>
> I'M IN!

Hi Jim!

I just read an email that Russell just sent to the mailing list.  I'll
be replying to that one specifically, but since I had JUST read your
post before his and I've been thinking nearly the exact same thing, I
thought I should reply here as well.

I personally know little C, infact, lets just assume none.  However,
I'm quite interested in Asterisk, I've done a little bit of
documentation and have been using it for over a year.  I've been
looking for something so that I can get involved in the code, and his
post seems to be the perfect opening.

As for your post specifically.  I would really like to see Russell and
Brian West do a presentation on the code.  Russell has been
maintaining the stable code, and Brian didn't know any C before he
started working with the Asterisk code, and I would consider him a
major contributor.  Both are also well spoken.

So anyways, this looks like our chance to get involved, hope you
weren't trying to call a bluff :)

Leif Madsen.
http://www.asteriskdocs.org

BTW:  Jim is also a major contributor to the Asterisk Documentation
Project and would certainly not be what it is now without him.  Thanks
Jim Van Alphabet!