[Asterisk-Dev] dev conf topic: better CDRs

James Middleton james.middleton at comcast.net
Fri Feb 25 08:18:03 MST 2005

Records of 'Communications' are specifically included in section 802-1 of 17
CFR part 210. What is of note is that the requirement for retention of
records is moving from 5 to 7 years. (see link below)

CDR would fall under this ruling (IMHO). The law is so vague that compliance
could mean almost anything concerning phone conversations. Some
interpretations would require voice recording of all conversations while
others say that simply documenting that the conversation occured is
sufficient for compliance. Does conferencing another extensionn count?

If you had 7 years of CDR data on the * server, what impact would a query
looking for all instances of extension 'A' talking to callers from DID range
'B' have on the system? Let's say in this case, the system is installed in a
large financial institution with 10,000 BHCC and average total daily volume
of 60,000 calls. Assuming no weekends and a few holidays let's call the
annual work days at 250 which means 15 million calls/year or 105 million
calls over a 7 year period. Now let's add each and every call event
including trunk active, reciept of caller ID, phone ringing, phone answered,
caller placed on hold, etc.... I'll assume that the average call only has 10
associated events (very conservative). This would mean at the end of 7 years
you would have 1.05 billion data events to look through.

http://www.sarbanes-oxley.com/displaysection.php?level=2&pub_id=SEC-Rules&ch
ap_id=SEC8&message_id=154