[Asterisk-Dev] chan_sip

Olle E. Johansson oej at edvina.net
Sat Feb 12 14:21:39 MST 2005

Nick Bachmann wrote:
> Kevin P. Fleming wrote:
>
>>> chan_sip support INVITE,ACK,...method why not MESSAGE
>>> ??
>>

>> MESSAGE is not really something Asterisk will be able to support
>> easily, because Asterisk is not a SIP proxy.

Actually, we support MESSAGE within the context of a call.
Text messages is handled by Asterisk in the IAX2 and SIP channels.

What we currently do not handle is IM like MESSAGE or SIMPLE outside
of the context of an Asterisk call. This can be done, but requires some
work. Again, a good bounty would be a carrot to run for.

And keep remembering what Nick said, Asterisk is not a SIP proxy.
/O