[Asterisk-Dev] IAX2 trunk really should send timestamps as part of iax2_meta_trunk_entry..

Steve Kann stevek at stevek.com
Fri Feb 4 10:02:00 MST 2005

On Feb 4, 2005, at 11:31 AM, Andrew Thompson wrote:

> steve at daviesfam.org wrote:
>>> 1) Why should iax2 trunk frames include timestamps for each meta
>>> frame,
>>> 2) How could we go about making this change.
>> In my mind we'll only ever get dejittering and the trunking code to
>> play nicely once the trunking code gives each enclosed frame its own
>> timestamp.
> <snip>
>> And the timestamps are crucial to the correct functioning of the
>> jitter buffer.
>> Mark feels it can be done, and also doesn't want to agree because of
>> the
>> "wire cost"  of the extra info.
>
> Just tossing out an idea, but couldn't the packets use a smaller
> offset from start-time integer? A packet could be sent every now and
> then that resets the starting point so that it doesn't overflow.

They already do;  like miniframes, there is a 16-bit integer used for
these timestamps..

In an (incorrect) theory, you could have a 16-bit integer timestamp
used for the "trunk frame", and then an 8bit integer offset timestamp
used for each "trunked" frame, but this doesn't work well, because the
offset between these timestamps can drift over time.  (and we have a
hard enough time "guessing" when the 16-bit timestamp overflows..

-SteveK