[Asterisk-Dev] Re: [Asterisk-Users] Asterisk does not handle call from a Cisco IAD correctly

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Tue Dec 27 14:21:18 MST 2005

On Tue, 2005-12-27 at 15:07 -0600, Tilghman Lesher wrote:
> On Tuesday 27 December 2005 14:15, James Sizemore wrote:
> > I think I found what is munging up the peer lookup:
> >
> > This call from another Asterisk box starts:
> >
> > <-- SIP read from 192.168.69.254:5060:
> >
> > The peer lookup that fail reads:
> >
> > <-- SIP read from 192.168.7.250:52141:
> >
> > Asterisk seem to be thrown off by the fact that the return port is
> > not 5060, and fails the peer lookup.  This is a * bug then. I have
> > documented it with both 1.0.9 and 1.2.1. Time to dig through the sip
> > code.
>
> No, this is actually sane.  This is necessary behavior in order to
> support multiple SIP clients from behind the same NAT.  Asterisk needs
> to know the control port for your host, and it needs to stay consistent
> between a REGISTER and an INVITE.  If Asterisk sees a different control
> port, it quite naturally assumes that that's a different client.

Your explination doesn't seem to satisfy James' observation. He is
saying that on one host with the 5060, port the lookup succeeds, but one
a DIFFERENT host, with a non 5060 port, it fails. While yes they both
are on a private network address space, it doesn't seem that NAT has
anything to do with this here, nor the client staying on the same port.