[Asterisk-Dev] New app_groupcount.so in SVN-trunk-r7413 broken

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Thu Dec 15 12:59:11 MST 2005

Chris Parker wrote:

> Your 'addon' modules would  be compiled against a specific version of
> asterisk.
> If you're upgrading asterisk, recompile the modules against the new
> version.

So we have to rev the version number any time any part of the API
changes, or any time the content of modules changes such that old
modules would conflict with new ones, even if there are no API changes.
That would be extremely difficult to manage properly, and would result
in hundreds of excess 'old' modules left on people's systems.

> Hmmm, then you nuke something that may or may not be easily replaced,
> ala g729, etc.
> if another copy isn't available elsewhere on the system.  Unless I'm
> misreading
> your statement.

When (if) this change happens, there will be plenty of warning, and the
first version of it will only move the excess modules out of the way,
not delete them. In fact, we may just do it that way permanently, with a
message telling you that it happened and where the modules got moved to.