[Asterisk-Dev] The Zaptel init scripts must die!

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Wed Dec 14 08:31:59 MST 2005

Tzafrir Cohen wrote:

> Wearing my Debian hat:

Being a happy Debian user, I appreciate that :-)

> 1. not all functionality can go into asterisk init.d script, as zaptel
>    is used by other packages.

>    in an init.d script . It must be run after modules detection but
>    before asterisk has started. But asterisk does not imply zaptel.

Correct. I think it would be reasonable for the asterisk init script to
see if zaptel is installed and if any hardware devices have been found
(note that this is _NOT_ equivalent to just checking if the modules have
been loaded) and if not then load ztdummy. This makes zaptel an
'optional' dependency of asterisk, but that's all.

> 3. running ztcfg automatically after the module loads is trouble if you
>    have more than one card type. This has complicated things enough
>    already.

This is only true because ztcfg currently only knows how to do _all_
interfaces at the same time. My proposal (sketchy at this point) is to
modify ztcfg to allow it to be asked to configure a _single_ card at a
time, using some sort of identifier for that card. This solution would
solve that problem completely.