[Asterisk-Dev] The Zaptel init scripts must die!

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Tue Dec 13 23:09:32 MST 2005

On Tue, Dec 13, 2005 at 07:45:16AM -0600, Kevin P. Fleming wrote:
> Ok, so maybe that's a little strong :-)
>
> Is there any reason we keep these things around? Is there really any
> value in not making the administrator use the existing module
> Debian systems that I operate, it is ridiculously easy to list the
> modules I want loaded at boot time (in
> /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6 and /etc/modules, respectively), and
> on some systems using kernel module autoloading will load them without
> even the need for that effort.
>
> Let's take a poll from the developer community: are these scripts
> providing any value? Are we just making it easy for people to not
> actually understand what they are doing when they install Zaptel on a
> modern distro?

Wearing my Debian hat:

1. not all functionality can go into asterisk init.d script, as zaptel
   is used by other packages.

   in an init.d script . It must be run after modules detection but
   before asterisk has started. But asterisk does not imply zaptel.

And my usual opinion:

3. running ztcfg automatically after the module loads is trouble if you
   have more than one card type. This has complicated things enough
   already.

--
Tzafrir Cohen     icq#16849755  +972-50-7952406
tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com  http://www.xorcom.com