[Asterisk-Dev] The Zaptel init scripts must die!

Tilghman Lesher tilghman at mail.jeffandtilghman.com
Tue Dec 13 12:42:09 MST 2005

On Tuesday 13 December 2005 07:45, Kevin P. Fleming wrote:
> Ok, so maybe that's a little strong :-)
>
> Is there any reason we keep these things around? Is there really any
> value in not making the administrator use the existing module
> Debian systems that I operate, it is ridiculously easy to list the
> modules I want loaded at boot time (in
> /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6 and /etc/modules, respectively),
> and on some systems using kernel module autoloading will load them
> without even the need for that effort.
>
> Let's take a poll from the developer community: are these scripts
> providing any value? Are we just making it easy for people to not
> actually understand what they are doing when they install Zaptel on a
> modern distro?

Sure, but first, I want you to tell me how zaptel magically knows when
all relevant modules are loaded on a machine BEFORE running 'ztcfg',
so we don't get misfires on each successive module.  This is what the
Mandrake init scripts are designed to do:  load all the relevant
modules, preventing running ztcfg until the very end, when all the
channels are in place).  If you've magically fixed zaptel to run ztcfg
itself, but only after _every_ card module is loaded, then there's no
longer any need for init scripts.

--
Tilghman