[Asterisk-Dev] Re: The Zaptel init scripts must die!

Tony Mountifield tony at softins.clara.co.uk
Tue Dec 13 07:53:56 MST 2005

In article <439ED06C.4000708 at digium.com>,
Kevin P. Fleming <kpfleming at digium.com> wrote:
> Ok, so maybe that's a little strong :-)
>
> Is there any reason we keep these things around? Is there really any
> value in not making the administrator use the existing module
> Debian systems that I operate, it is ridiculously easy to list the
> modules I want loaded at boot time (in
> /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6 and /etc/modules, respectively), and
> on some systems using kernel module autoloading will load them without
> even the need for that effort.
>
> Let's take a poll from the developer community: are these scripts
> providing any value? Are we just making it easy for people to not
> actually understand what they are doing when they install Zaptel on a
> modern distro?

I use the zaptel init scripts on Fedora and Centos and find them useful.
Especially if I upgrade, I just do:

# service zaptel stop ; make install ; service zaptel start

(of course Asterisk not running when I do that)

I don't know what alternative strategies there are, nor how udev would
fit in with them - e.g. the wait loop in the init script.

Cheers
Tony
--
Tony Mountifield