[Asterisk-Dev] meetme enhancements to improve efficiency

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Tue Dec 6 16:17:48 MST 2005

On Tue, 2005-12-06 at 11:49 -0600, Kevin P. Fleming wrote:
> Can't you do what the other distros do and package Zaptel as well?

I'm very strongly opposed to packaging modules which aren't part of the
kernel proper and have no prospect of getting merged. It's just too
painful to bother.

> Given the known limitations of app_conference, not including
> app_meetme but still calling the package 'Asterisk' could confuse a
> lot of people and take away support for existing functionality they
> would get by building from source.

I suppose it does no harm to ship app_meetme and chan_zap in the package
but require people to provide their own kernel modules if they really
want to use them. The other ZAPTEL_OPTIMIZATIONS are easily fixed to use
POSIX timers or the /dev/rtc interface; it's app_meetme which is the
final problem that I'm aware of.

Out of interest, what are the 'known limitations' of app_conference?
I've never tried using either it or app_meetme, but I'd rather see
app_conference fixed than work on app_meetme (except perhaps to make
app_meetme no longer depend on zaptel).

--
dwmw2