[Asterisk-Dev] Jackd and Asterisk

Mike Taht mike.taht at gmail.com
Tue Aug 30 22:03:41 MST 2005

On 8/30/05, Steven <critch at basesys.com> wrote:

> Jackd doesn't force up or downsampling onto anything itself. The trouble
> you would run into is that to run any of the graphical portions would
> require X. X isn't conducive to a well functioning asterisk machine.

I like to think that with Ingo's RT-Pre-empt patches, the ability to RT
prioritize certain IRQs over others (and make the video IRQ a low priority),
and the ability to change the PCI latency timings with setpci, that the X +
Asterisk problem can be solved. Is solved. Is a there a current test case
that demonstrates the problem? I've just built 2.6.13-rt2, might as well try
it on something....

Sure, running X would put a lower upper bound on calls on a loaded asterisk
server, but with modern hardware, it shouldn't be much. (sure, you don't
want to run X unless you have to...)

And as you point out, with jack.udp, the graphical components could be run
elsewhere (or over a X11 tunnel).

All that said, I have considered jackd as a good option for doing some
> interesting functions such as provide a way to get MOH off of the
> asterisk machine. Specifically I would like to use something like
> Rivendell to automate MOH and introduce advertisements at set intervals.

Cool!

I have also thought that with jack.udp you could deploy some really
> simple machines about and be able to do some interesting things with
> ambient music and announcements.

See also aformentioned audio analysis idea.

Of course jackd might introduce some load we might not want to incur
> while running asterisk.

Make it optional like alsa or oss. In my case I was mostly thinking of
adding a jack monitoring command to tee a conversation into jack (for
quality monitoring) - but then I realized how generic the technique cold be
for other uses (as one example, using it as the audio console - or multiple
audio consoles - where people are already listening to some other sound)

--
> Steven Critchfield
> critch at basesys.com
> KI4KTY