[Asterisk-Dev] Jackd and Asterisk

Steven critch at basesys.com
Tue Aug 30 21:17:44 MST 2005

On Tue, 2005-08-30 at 20:52 -0700, Mike Taht wrote:
> I am curious if anyone has tried to create a jackd (jack audio
> connection kit) <-> asterisk plugin? It looks like a straightforward
> way (with admittedly a lot of up and downsampling) to interface odd
> things into asterisk's sound processing loop  - graphically watch
> sound quality on a conference for example - mix in a little extra bass
> response on an outgoing call (adding a sense of authoritay to the

Jackd doesn't force up or downsampling onto anything itself. The trouble
you would run into is that to run any of the graphical portions would
require X. X isn't conducive to a well functioning asterisk machine.

All that said, I have considered jackd as a good option for doing some
interesting functions such as provide a way to get MOH off of the
asterisk machine. Specifically I would like to use something like
Rivendell to automate MOH and introduce advertisements at set intervals.

I have also thought that with jack.udp you could deploy some really
simple machines about and be able to do some interesting things with
ambient music and announcements.

Of course jackd might introduce some load we might not want to incur
while running asterisk.

--
Steven Critchfield
critch at basesys.com