[Asterisk-Dev] Re: How to measure delay in meetme?

Tony Mountifield tony at softins.clara.co.uk
Mon Aug 29 10:33:11 MST 2005

In article <Pine.LNX.4.61.0508281750221.11671 at fs.sedwards.com>,
Steve Edwards <asterisk.org at sedwards.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the checklist.
>
> > 1. Use a good hardware timing source.  Zaptel card, or if ztdummy,
> > enable USE_RTC (it's in the source in head, look for it)
>
> t100p

So Steve, your MeetMe conferences *only* involve Zap channels on your
T1 connection? And it is in these that the boss complains of delay?
With no VoIP channels involved?

I've never found problems with delay when only Zap channels are involved;
it's always with VoIP channels.

The audio mixing is done in the zaptel device driver in real time between
the Zap channels that are involved, so the delay should be minimal. When
VoIP is involved, each VoIP channel gets a proxy Zaptel Pseudo-channel and
MeetMe has to copy the audio data both ways between the VoIP and Pseudo
channels. It is here that the delays creep in.

Cheers
Tony
--
Tony Mountifield