[Asterisk-Dev] How to measure delay in meetme?

Steve Edwards asterisk.org at sedwards.com
Sun Aug 28 18:33:19 MST 2005

Thanks for the checklist.

> 1. Use a good hardware timing source.  Zaptel card, or if ztdummy,
> enable USE_RTC (it's in the source in head, look for it)

t100p

> 2. Use cvs head or 1.2 beta, there is at least one meetme delay fix that
> did not make it to 1.0 I believe.

Current, up to a couple of minutes ago:

ASTERISK_FILE_VERSION(__FILE__, "$Revision: 1.103 $")

> 3. Use hardware interfaces, not voip.  There are known, yet to be fixed
> issues with delay on some voip connections.

t100p

> 4. Use meetme with q flag.  The entry\exit tones and admin menu add
> delay.  These still are reported and not completely fixed.

I use my own implementation to play enter/leave in conf_run() instead of
conf_play(). I needed to play a "ring" to the member at the same time I
play a short "dialplan determined" file to the conference admin.

I entered and left the same conference 20 times and no additional delay --
at least that I can hear.

On Sun, 28 Aug 2005, Jerris, Michael MI wrote:

>> Steve Edwards
>

>> Interesting reading, but they raise more questions than they
>> answer (for me).
>>
>> 1) Is there any way to objectively measure the delay? Maybe
>> record some file and measure the time between "pips?"
>>
>> 2) What configuration options for zap, iax, and meetme will
>> increase or decrease delay?
>>

> To decrease delay in meetme:
>
> 1. Use a good hardware timing source.  Zaptel card, or if ztdummy,
> enable USE_RTC (it's in the source in head, look for it)
> 2. Use cvs head or 1.2 beta, there is at least one meetme delay fix that
> did not make it to 1.0 I believe.
> 3. Use hardware interfaces, not voip.  There are known, yet to be fixed
> issues with delay on some voip connections.
> 4. Use meetme with q flag.  The entry\exit tones and admin menu add
> delay.  These still are reported and not completely fixed.
>
> Mike

Thanks in advance,