[Asterisk-Dev] app_rpt and iaxcomm ptt

hwstar at rodgers.sdcoxmail.com hwstar at rodgers.sdcoxmail.com
Fri Aug 26 09:53:59 MST 2005

Multiple reasons:

aa. The control frames help prevent transmitters from being keyed by unauthorized individuals with standard softphone programs. (We would like to keep our licenses).

bb. High levels of background noise could key a transmitter
and cause interference. Commercially viable designs would never allow a transmitter to be keyed on the contents of an audio frame. A separate out-of-band keying mechanism is a very prudent thing to do.

cc. The CNG approach would be full of corner cases and need many days/weeks of debugging, as users complain about the
weaknesses mentioned in aa. and bb. above.

dd. The system as it is implemented works well, it is stable
and given that there is no reason to support a second method of keying.

Steve Rodgers
QRV Communications