[Asterisk-Dev] Help IP phone project

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Sat Aug 20 01:53:39 MST 2005

On Sat, Aug 20, 2005 at 06:16:35AM +0100, Prakash N wrote:
> Hi
> Iam Prakash doing my project in Design and development of Low cost
> IP-Phone. Iam planning to use single channel IP phone

"IP phone" does not define the protocol. Would it be simpler to provide
a sane and compatible implementation of SIP or of IAX2 ?

> with minimal
> features. Low cost is by using single processor approach (no DSP chip
> and only RISC Processor) which is avaliable open source. The chipset I
> am planning contains ADC/DAC, LCD interface etc as the normal IP phone
> chipsets have except the processor which doesnt account in BOM.
>
> The software part Iam planning to use Asterik which is freely available.
> I want to know whether the software (open source) does/could be
> supported for my hardware. As Iam not using the commercially available
> boards, the question comes. My plan is first compile the software
> (Asterisk) into the RISC processor and evaluate the performace of the
> processor and then optimize my processor for best performance.
> Is this project viable / Do I've a any loop hole in this approach.
> Please provide your valuable comments/help regarding this.

Asterisk does a bit more than a simple VoIP client. That last sentence
is motivated by http://yate.null.ro/pmwiki/index.php/Main/YateClient .
Note that I'm nontally unfamiliar with Yate and its suitability to that
task.

--
Tzafrir Cohen     icq#16849755  +972-50-7952406
tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com  http://www.xorcom.com