[Asterisk-Dev] res_monitor improvement

Jerris, Michael MI mjerris at ofllc.com
Sun Aug 14 18:52:52 MST 2005

> [mailto:asterisk-dev-bounces at lists.digium.com] On Behalf Of Brian West
>
> If you use monmux the audio before writing it out to disk
> you'll cut your disk I/O in half.  Then you can also lower
> that by choosing gsm or something other than raw or wav.
>
> /b

In comparison, file written to temp (2 separate files so twice the
amount of writes) then at the end of the call, both files are read,
(double read here) and mixed, at which point you have a cpu spike as it
does all the mixing as quick as it can, instead of streamed as it goes,
limited by the speed the audio comes in, then one final write.  With
muxmon, you have to audio streams that come in, they are muxed on the
fly, with the cpu usage limited by the speed of incoming audio, and a
single file is written as it goes.  In summary you have 1/2 the realtime
disk access as it goes (which is run through slinfactory which will not
block as it goes) and overall 20% of the disk access, in addition you
avoid thte cpu spike and disk access spike at the end of the call.  I
will have real world results from a large environment doing a huge
amount of recording soon, but initial testing looks very promising.

Mike