[Asterisk-Dev] Henning G. Schulzrinne quote on IAX2 from von magazine

Brian West brian.west at mac.com
Sat Aug 13 11:56:06 MST 2005

On Aug 13, 2005, at 1:45 PM, John Todd wrote:

> I hereby kill this thread and take it to the -users list.

Actually this should be on -dev because IAX2 does have scalability
issues.  It will not and CAN NOT scale to large scales.  This is due
to the single thread that handles all traffic in and out of the
single UDP port.  As you start to load the box with calls the call
quality starts to degrade and the delay shoots thru the roof.  You
have one queue for receive and one for transmit that is serviced by
the same thread.  Now if you pile on 30 calls with say a 300ms of
latency it starts to sound like crap while running sip in the same
situation sounds perfect.  IAX2 has its place but not in a large
scale deployment at this time unless we can solve the issue with the
bottle neck in the tx/rx queues.  I think we have talked about
splitting the tx and rx queues into two threads that only gains a
little bit of speed.  The next step would be to move this operation
into the kernel since it does this and does it well already.  Then
again on the other hand if you had an option to use a dedicated udp
port per call that would also cause the issue to go away.  We could
add something to punch thru nat and cause it to work just like it
does now without much if any thought on the users side.

/b