[Asterisk-Dev] Re: PostgreSQL support in Asterisk 1.2?

Tilghman Lesher tilghman at mail.jeffandtilghman.com
Wed Aug 10 09:21:47 MST 2005

On Wednesday 10 August 2005 10:43, Andrew Kohlsmith wrote:
> On Wednesday 10 August 2005 11:46, Begumisa Gerald M wrote:
> > For most critical applications it may not be too wise to lean fully
> > on the RDBMS to protect you from your inexperience.
>
> I'm sorry, but if I tell my DB to only accept dates into a column,
> that does NOT imply "if I don't give you a date, make it one."
>
> One of the biggest reasons to use a DB in the first place is to hand
> off the data consistency checking to it!  If I can't trust it to do
> that what's the point?  A DB has a lot of overhead and resources that
> it takes away from the rest of my system...  if I have to check over
> its shoulder constantly I may as well be doing everything myself.

In that case, SQLite cannot be considered to be a DB under your
definition, either.  From the documentation [0]:

"...SQLite support[s] the concept of "type affinity" on columns. The
type affinity of a column is the recommended type for data stored in
that column. The key here is that the type is recommended, not required.
Any column can still store any type of data..."

So much for data consistency checking.

[0] http://www.sqlite.org/datatype3.html
--
Tilghman