[Asterisk-Dev] Re: PostgreSQL support in Asterisk 1.2?

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Wed Aug 10 08:43:13 MST 2005

On Wednesday 10 August 2005 11:46, Begumisa Gerald M wrote:
> For most critical applications it may not be too wise to lean fully on the
> RDBMS to protect you from your inexperience.

I'm sorry, but if I tell my DB to only accept dates into a column, that does
NOT imply "if I don't give you a date, make it one."

One of the biggest reasons to use a DB in the first place is to hand off the
data consistency checking to it!  If I can't trust it to do that what's the
point?  A DB has a lot of overhead and resources that it takes away from the
rest of my system...  if I have to check over its shoulder constantly I may
as well be doing everything myself.

-A.