[Asterisk-Dev] High-Bandwidth codecs (again) G.722.1

James Cloos cloos at jhcloos.com
Sun Aug 7 13:59:58 MST 2005

>>>>> "John" == John Todd <jtodd at loligo.com> writes:

John> http://www.polycom.com/common/pw_cmp_printScreen/0,,pw-10713,FF.html
John> http://www.polycom.com/common/pw_item_show_doc/0,,4442,00.pdf

Having only read those two links, and not the actual license itself,
and with the disclaimer that I am of course not a lawyer, it is almost
certainly the case that the license is not GPL compatable.

Then again, that also goes for ILBC, which is included in the main
asterisk distribution.  As such, other than licenses purchased from
Digium, asterisk licensing is already muddled.

(OTOH, given the patent situation is certain jurisdictions, *all*
software licensing is muddled, so it probably makes little practical
difference.)

Also note that Siren14 (g.722.1 annex c) is a 32 kHz codec (like
speex ultra-wideband), not a 16 kHz codec (like speex wideband or
iLBC's sister codec as reportedly used in skype).  For 16 kHz they
offer Siren7 -- which is g.722.1 -- only for $$$.

We get back to the point that if the asterisk core and the iax
protocol were each made to work with 16kHz and 32 kHz sample rates --
and why not 48 kHz and the CD-derrived sample rates -- then stuff like
this could be thrown in easily as an add on.

-JimC
--
James H. Cloos, Jr. <cloos at jhcloos.com>