[Asterisk-Dev] Re: PostgreSQL support in Asterisk 1.2?

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Sat Aug 6 10:44:42 MST 2005

On Saturday 06 August 2005 12:33, Michiel van Baak wrote:
> But a lot of others wont. They told me time after time to
> put all in a database so you can manage it with a webapp and
> when done, regenerate the flat files and signal asterisk to
> reload. Now this may work with only 1 or 2 ppl changing
> dialplan, but imagine a server with around 300+ customers
> all wanting to reload asterisk over and over again, because
> they are setting up IVR's or holiday dialplans.
> That's what realtime can solve.
> And if RT could use postgres.....

RT Can use postgres with ODBC, IIRC.

And again we're hitting the exact scenario I'm saying that MySQL can't handle
nicely -- dozens (in your case 300+) of concurrent connections all hitting
the same set of tables.

You can do this without tying the DB to the PBX.  Use the DB to create the
static files and every 5 to 15 minutes do an extensions reload or whatever
reload (iax2, sip, whatever) to reload the parts that changed.  It's trivial,
it's FAR more robust, and you can use whatever the hell DB and integration
system you want WITHOUT screwing with the PBX!

-A.