[Asterisk-Dev] video in iax2 spec

Derek Smithies derek at indranet.co.nz
Fri Apr 29 16:18:03 MST 2005

Hi,

> it's almost impossibly difficult to actually use in an application
Wow.
   That means that all the applications I have written (which use
   openh323) are examples of  near impossible feats accomplished.

you are right - openh323 is hard to use, if you do not understand
threading, or C++.

> The fact that Gnomemeeting works with OpenH323 proves nothing
Rubbish.
  GnomeMeeting, for it to run on any box requires the presence of
  the libraries pwlib, openh323, and the openh323 executable.
  GnomeMeeting does not require the source of the libraries to run.

 Did you hear that Gnomemeeting has been considered for placing on the
default desktop? Does that suggest Gnomemeeting is highly stable?
  yes - gnomemeeting is stable. If only all apps were as stable

> I mean, come on, chan_h323 and chan_oh323 are some of the most difficult
> apps in Asterisk to get compiled, let alone working.  The people that
> have worked hard at getting chan_h323 and chan_oh323 to where they are
> today deserve a medal (and a large bottle of Tylenol).

Or, does that mean the chan 323 developers did not understand threading
etc, or did not understand the programming model of openh323? My inbox has
had multiple emails from Michael (developer of chan_oh323) and I have
explained to him where he has altered openh323 variables in a non thread
safe fashion. If you do adjust openh323 variables in a non thread safe
fashion, you are going to get random failures that are hard to debug.
For the record, chan_oh323 is (in my view) the best opensource h323
channel for *

===================================

> I mean, WTF is up with a *LIBRARY* that requires you to have the source
> that you compiled the library with around to compile an application?

I don't understand your gripe - the chan_h323 etc require the source cause
they require a particular library version/api.
chan_h323 requires you to have built the required library versions (to
get the right library), which means that you do need the library source.
Is that openh323 fault, or the chan_h323 developer? If you could use the
latest library, the openh323 include files + and .so files is all that is
required.

Derek.
--
Derek Smithies Ph.D.