[Asterisk-Dev] Proposed patch.

Jerris, Michael MI mjerris at ofllc.com
Fri Apr 29 13:58:50 MST 2005

> From: asterisk-dev-bounces at lists.digium.com
> [mailto:asterisk-dev-bounces at lists.digium.com] On Behalf Of
> Tilghman Lesher
> On Friday 29 April 2005 15:09, Kevin P. Fleming wrote:
> > Brian West wrote:
> > > Are you be sarcastic or truthful?  haha  Because we do this in
> > > frame.c already.  Plus its a one time hit on load/reload.
> >
> > A one time hit? You are calling getenv() every time you see that
> > pattern during a configuration load. In frame.c, it happens only if
> > the user types that special command.
> >
> > Granted, it's not going to affect call handling performance, but it
> > would still be better to just check it once during the load
>
> > (since it can't change while Asterisk is still running)
>
> Yes, it can.
>
> SetVar(ENV(I_AM_NOT_AN_IDIOT)=1)

But can you give a good example where you would really want to change
being an idiot in the dialplan?  Would one learn to be less of an idiot
or become more of an idiot while processing a call ;).  Perhapse we
could put this to rest and add an idiot= to asterisk.conf.  It could be
a yes\no value, or perhapes a number, for some scale of idotrity, from 0
for not an idiot, to 100 for a really really big idiot?  Do we need per
user or peer idiot levels as well?  What should the effect of idiot
level changes be at reload?  Do we need to pass a test to change the
idiot level?  There are serious questions that need to be answered here.

Mike.