[Asterisk-Dev] IAX spec: Text formats and character sets

Olle E. Johansson oej at edvina.net
Thu Apr 28 08:15:34 MST 2005

Steve Underwood wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I raised this with Mark ages ago, when I started putting Chinese into
> IAX2 messages. I thought it should be specified that all text is Unicode
> in UTF-8 form, but he seemed pretty indifferent to specifying anything.
>
> There is no need to have ASCII + UTF-8. ASCII is a subset of UTF-8, so
> they are fully compatible. Its only when you have 8 bit sets, like the
> PC ones, that compatibility is an issue. Just define that all strings in
> IAX2 are UTF-8, and that is the end of it.

...yes, I'll admit that is an easy way out. But we still need to handle
conversion to ISO8859-1 caller ID's and find a way to do pattern
matching and how to use "." and "@" in IAX to call SIP uri's - there are
many things to consider. (The @ in an IAX2 dialstring separates
extension from context...)

/O