[Asterisk-Dev] IAX spec: Text formats and character sets

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Thu Apr 28 06:28:33 MST 2005

Hi,

I raised this with Mark ages ago, when I started putting Chinese into
IAX2 messages. I thought it should be specified that all text is Unicode
in UTF-8 form, but he seemed pretty indifferent to specifying anything.

There is no need to have ASCII + UTF-8. ASCII is a subset of UTF-8, so
they are fully compatible. Its only when you have 8 bit sets, like the
PC ones, that compatibility is an issue. Just define that all strings in
IAX2 are UTF-8, and that is the end of it.

Regards,
Steve