[Asterisk-Dev] Leadtek BVA8051S problem with MWI

Bill Merriam lists at billmerriam.com
Mon Apr 25 14:23:26 MST 2005

I have a sipphone call-in-one (a Leadtek BVA8051S) with firmware LDTK
AR16O.  With Asterisk (prior to 1.0.7) enabling the MWI caused a SIP
error 400, as described in the following post to sipphone:

"The AR16 version of the firmware adds support for using SIP Subscribe
to get informed of voicemail events. Asterisk sends a Notify that looks
like:

Messages-Waiting: yes\r\n
Voice-messages: 5/0\r\n

The message header has Content-Length: 43

The CIO responds:

400 Content To Short

Apparently those chinese folks don't know it is spelled TOO.

The reply from the CIO includes some of the fields from Asterisk's
message header and this version of the header says Content-Length: 0"

They replied:

"To get this to work, do this:

on or about line 3950 in /usr/src/asterisk/channels/chan_sip.c, you
should see a line that looks like this:

Code:
snprintf(tmp2, sizeof(tmp2), "Voice-messages: %d/%d\r\n", newmsgs, oldmsgs);

The CIO (LeadTek VOIP box) does not like this. (reports back 400 Content
to Short)

It wants you to change that line to read:
Code:
snprintf(tmp2, sizeof(tmp2), "Voicemail: %d/%d\r\n", newmsgs, oldmsgs);

Of course, you will need to test this change with other SIP devices to
see how they handle the difference in the NOTIFY message sent to them."

I can't see that the format of the message waiting notify message is
defined in the RFC's.  Did I miss it?

Should I ask the Asterisk developers for a change to customize the
message by device or should I the Leadtek developers to customize what
they are looking for in the message?  If Asterisk needs a change I will
add the issue to Mantis.

I said prior to 1.0.7 because when I installed that I get all sorts of
problems with the Subscribe from the 8051 that is apparently a known
problem with Subscribe.  I expect with the next release the Subscribe
will succeed and the Notify will once again fail.

Or should I just not use MWI with this device?

Thanks.

Bill Merriam