[Asterisk-Dev] CPU Profiling?

Michael Giagnocavo mgg at Atrevido.net
Thu Apr 21 07:49:46 MST 2005

Hello,

	I've been trying to find some hotspots in Asterisk. I have a hunch
that replacing some linked lists with hashtables (say, looking up peers and
so on) should help a lot. I know that during loading (extensions, iax, sip),
removing the list traversal code (to check for duplicates) speeds it up tons
(quadratic to linear).

	I tried using google-perftools, their CPU profiler. However,
apparently it only profiles the main thread, and requires a call to
ProfilerRegisterThread on each thread. However, the profile is a CPP app,
and if I try to link when calling ProfileRegisterThread in the source, I'm
told undefined reference to `ProfilerRegisterThread'.

	Has anyone succeeded in using Google's, or any other CPU profiler on
Asterisk?

	(My real goal is to get Asterisk handling with ease, say, 2000
friends (SIP and IAX2). Any hints on this would be great.)

-Michael