[Asterisk-Dev] Re: BOUNTY: app_hangup from exten => h

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Fri Apr 15 04:40:58 MST 2005

On April 14, 2005 11:52 am, Eric Wieling wrote:
> > Perhaps when searching for a "special extension" Asterisk should ignore
> > any _. rules.
>
> That would break a lot of people's dialplans.  That's why a NOTICE or
> WARNING is much better.  It won't break dialplans, but will at least
> tell you when you are doing something stupid.

I see nothing wrong with breaking people's dialplans if it's for the greater
good, and in this case 'greater good' meaning a clearer, more consistent
dialplan logic engine.

Of course I am not proposing a onetime cutover; Provide the warning in stable
and head, and at the next stable release (or perhaps one after next) cut over
completely.

Mark's already done this a number of times with the dialplan logic, and for
(in my opinion) far poorer reasons.  Fallthrough dialing, anyone?

-A.