alternate SCM. Was Re: [Asterisk-Dev] Linux leaves Bitkeeper: quite a dustup

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Wed Apr 13 13:14:34 MST 2005

On Wed, 2005-04-13 at 12:28 -0700, Scott Laird wrote:
> On Apr 13, 2005, at 10:58 AM, Steven Critchfield wrote:
> >> Interface to mantis bug tracker
> >
> > Are we truly tied to Mantis? I haven't used it much, but didn't think
> > it
> > was very useful.
> >
> > I like trac, but I think it is too tightly coupled with SVN to be used
> > with another SCM. Specifically what I like about trac is the ability to
> > mark tickets as part of a milestone and work towards clearing all open
> > tickets in a milestone for release. Then again, I haven't seen any way
> > in trac to easily manage multiple trees.
>
> Trac is very cool.  There seems to be some interest in ungluing it from
> SVN--there's a patch out there to make it work with darcs, but it
> hasn't been merged yet.  Trac's bug tracker isn't very fancy, but it
> seems to be good enough for a lot of projects.  Ruby on Rails is the
> busiest project that I deal with that uses Trac, and they don't seem to
> have a lot of problems dealing with dozens of patches and bug reports
> each day.  I really like Trac's changeset tracking.  Examples:
>
>    http://dev.rubyonrails.org/timeline
>    http://dev.rubyonrails.org/changeset/1155

Oddly enough, RoR is why I know about trac.

> I'm not sure that it's well-suited to the long-running bug discussion
> that tends to turn up in Mantis, though.

Personal opinion is that is what this list should have been for. That or
if there could be a email list like what is built into RT. Going to a
web page to wade through crap I don't care about isn't going to happen.
And there are pretty large sections of asterisk that I don't need nor do
I track. I want to be able to help get it to where those sections I
don't want to track are easier to ignore so that I can focus on what I
can actually help with.