alternate SCM. Was Re: [Asterisk-Dev] Linux leaves Bitkeeper: quite a dustup

Jeffrey C. Ollie jeff at ocjtech.us
Wed Apr 13 12:38:59 MST 2005

On Wed, 2005-04-13 at 12:58 -0500, Steven Critchfield wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-04-12 at 14:15 -0700, Mike Taht wrote:
> > > Good binary file handling (for handling sounds, iaxy firmware)
>
> While a good idea, maybe we need to think about removing sounds from CVS
> or other SCM and make it a nice rsync repository or tarball. This is
> actually a very weak maybe.

IMHO, they need to stay.  Just imagine the confusion if the options in
the voicemail menu code was reorganized but we didn't synchronize the
sound file.  If the sounds are outside of our source code managment
system you'll just have to invent some other system for controlling
versions.

> > > Web interface for browsing source code repository
>
> How often is this actually used? Nice addition, but maybe it could be
> prioritized down a bit.

I use the web interfaces to a number of repositories from time to time.
They are helpful but I wouldn't call it critical either.

> > Emailed commit logs
>
> While important, this might not be very easy or very usable in a
> distributed SCM environment. For instance, there may be branches you
> don't care anything about, but having a central email distribution would
> not be overly helpful.

If we chose a distributed development model, I think that we'd have to
choose a small number of repositories that would have commit messages
sent to a mailing list.

> > Interface to mantis bug tracker
>
> Are we truly tied to Mantis? I haven't used it much, but didn't think it
> was very useful.

Well, I don't know if we're specifically tied to Mantis, but it gets a
lot of use - many of the CVS commit messages list a bug number.

> I like trac, but I think it is too tightly coupled with SVN to be used
> with another SCM. Specifically what I like about trac is the ability to
> mark tickets as part of a milestone and work towards clearing all open
> tickets in a milestone for release. Then again, I haven't seen any way
> in trac to easily manage multiple trees.

I haven't used Trac myself but if you use Subversion for source code
management it would make sense to take a look at Trac.  It has an
impressive list of features.  I've been meaning to set up Trac for
myself and give it a try.

Jeff