[Asterisk-Dev] SCM discussion

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Tue Apr 12 21:42:51 MST 2005

Steven wrote:

> A concern I have about the distributed development model is in getting
> the code back to Digium. In the current centralized development model, I
> submit patches to Digium for inclusion. The submission along with the
> disclaimer on file show an active interest in Digium using the code. In
> a distributed model, I wouldn't need to be actively submitting code back
> for it to be easily available. I don't know what new mechanism will need
> to be adopted to keep all that clear.

Yes, that is an issue as well, and one of the big reasons that I want a
central development server, to kind of keep things a little 'closer' to
Digium.

Also, I have in mind quite a bit of automation that the developer would
get for free by using the development server. This would include:

- public and private trees, with public trees automatically made visible
via a web interface; any tree could have access granted to other
developers, allowing for team development and testing of complex patches

- commits to public trees posted to a common commits mailing list

- commit triggers to notify developers when the changes in their public
trees no longer merge cleanly with the HEAD branch (or whatever branch
they are tracking)

- links from Mantis into the development server so that issues can be
tracked with the development tree they are based on

Certainly anyone running their own public repository/tree could provide
these things, but I think there is value in them being available at no
cost to a member of the team, just by hosting their work on the
'official' development server.